Frequently Asked Questions

About the Project

  1. What is this project about?
    This project seeks to enhance city infrastructure and build institutional capacity of Kampala Capital City Authority (KCCA).
  2. Who funds and manages this project?
    The project is funded by the World Bank and the Government of Uganda, and is implemented by Kampala Capital City Authority-KCCA.
  3. How much is this project and for how long?
    The project is worth US$183.75 Million, and runs for five years, till 2019.
  4. Who will this project benefit?
    The project is nonpartisan and is to benefit residents of the five Divisions of Kampala: Central, Nakawa, Makindye, Kawempe, and Rubaga.
  5. Where can I find more information about the project?
    Please refer to Project Documents on this Website or call +256 204 660028

Land and Property

  1. What is the criteria for compensating one’s property? If your property is severely affected by planned construction of a road or drainage channel, the law mandates compensation.
  2. How do I find out if my property or land is going to be affected by the proposed new road or drainage channel? A map for each proposed new road is available to ascertain the road boundaries. Secondly, a team of surveyors mark road boundaries using pegs.
  3. The planned new road or drainage channel will pass through some of my land. What do I do?  You will be approached by our team to agree on terms and modalities of compensation.
  4. What happens to my perimeter wall, fence or property constructed in a road reserve? A road reserve is a legally described area within which facilities such as roads, footpaths, and associated features may be constructed for public travel. Therefore, any private properties along the road reserve are illegal.
  5. Why are some communities giving some of their land for road and drainage construction without compensation? All compensation for properties in the project area is financed by the Government of Uganda, yet GOU currently has difficulty in securing the required funds.  Secondly, funds for road construction are available, but for a limited period.  For this reason, communities agreed to give small space on their land for road construction in exchange for benefits that tarmac roads bring such as increased property values.
  6. I have heard that Government is not compensating for properties along some roads in Kampala? Is this true?  Yes, communities willingly agreed to give small space on their land for an upgraded road, with the knowledge that the value of their properties will increase after the road is complete. However, severely affected properties will be restored and the project will pay for it.
  7. If I freely give my land for road construction. Who pays to relocate my perimeter wall, fence, gate or property? The Project will reinstate the property.
  8. If I willingly give my land for the project to construct a road or drainage channel, do I have to give my land title?  No. The land remains yours. However, you sign an agreement authorizing the use of a specified piece of your land for road construction.
  9. I submitted my land title to KCCA for compensation long time ago. Since then my title has not been returned. What do I do? You are advised to raise your complaint with the Project Secretariat that can reached on +256 204 660038.
  10. KCCA is processing compensation for my land and property, but the process has taken very long.  How long should I wait? This process involves verifying and documenting the property, disclosure of compensation terms, acceptance and/or payment, if applicable. Should you not receive any information within a month, you are requested to call the Project Secretariat.
  11. What if my property is jointly owned, do we all get compensated? Yes, all parties get compensated based on their share of property.
  12. I am a ‘kibanja’ owner, and my land has a different land lord, who gets compensated? Both parties get a portion of the compensation package. 
  13. I have a complaint about my land or property located along the road or drainage that will be constructed? Who do I talk to? You can visit the Project Office at City Hall, KCCA, Room A214 or Please call +256 204 660038 or send an email to

Road Construction

  1. How does this project select which roads to construct first?  Roads were selected during the project design, based on economic viability, connectivity to key highways, equitable distribution and impact.
  2. Our road was approved for construction, when does work start? Once approved, designs are drawn, people with properties in the road corridor are engaged, agreements reached, a road contractor is hired, and construction starts. The start of construction is determined by how smooth and quickly the above processes are handled.
  3. Why was the new road re-aligned or redesigned? The first time the surveyors put pegs, then later moved them? The redesign was aimed at minimizing the impact on properties along the new road.
  4. We have seen workers digging and relocating utility lines for water, electricity, and sewage. Does this mean construction work on our road has started? No. Utilities are moved way ahead of road construction.
  5. Who should I inform about the maintenance of our dusty and potholed road? KCCA is responsible for road maintenance. Tel: 0204 66 00 00 or email:
  6. Who can I report to any malpractices in construction works along KCCA roads? You can visit the Project Office at City Hall, KCCA, Room A214 or call +256 204 660038 or send an email to



  1. Who is responsible for cleaning our drainage channels? It is the primary responsibility of each community to ensure that their garbage is properly disposed and to keep the drainage channel clean.
  2. Please help us, our area floods whenever it rains. What can we do? Flooding may be caused by blocked drainages or structural issues.  Please keep your drainage clean. If flooding persists, do inform KCCA Tel: 0204 66 00 00 or email:
  3. The drainage channel near my home is open, and clogged with stagnant water, what can my community do to avoid falling sick? You are requested to keep your drainage clean to avoid water stagnation.
  4. Why are newly constructed drainage channels along your new roads without lids or covers? Open drainage allows for regular cleaning. However, our new policy is to use covered drainage for areas with human traffic.
  5. When are you constructing key drainage channels like Nalukolongo, Lubigi etc.? Designs are in place.  Once funds are available construction work will start.  However, each community should ensure that the drainage channel remains clean and clear of illegal structures along the channel.


Complaints and Grievances


  1. What is the procedure of filing a complaint about KIIDP Project?KCCA constituted grievance management committees at the Division level that are chaired by the Division Mayors. You file your complaint at the Division level with the Community Development Officer who will register it and you will be informed of the next steps.
  2. Who can I talk to about my land or property that is located along the road or drainage which is going to be constructed?
    You can visit  the Division Engineer at the Division level or  the Project Office at City Hall, KCCA, Room A214 or call +256 204 660038 or send an email to
  3. I work for a construction firm, which is implementing works on your project. Who should I talk to about some issues I am not happy with at my work? Talk to the Grievance Handling Committee which comprises of representatives of workers, management and Ministry of Labor officials at Contractor’s level.  You can also lodge your complaint to the Labour Officer based at the Division level where the project is being implemented for redress.


House Number Exercise

  1. What is this house numbering exercise?
    It is an exercise to assign addresses to all buildings, properties and houses in the city for easy identification.
  2. Why is it important to establish addresses of properties and roads in the City?
    Properly addressed houses make it easy to identify properties and deliver services. It also facilitates quick response in emergency situations such as fire, medical, etc.
  3. My house already has a plot number, does it mean the new house number will be my plot number?
    Your house number will remain the same and will exist alongside the assigned house number.
  4. Will I pay for the house number plate or will it be free?
    Yes, you will pay a minimal fee for the house number plate.
  5. People have come to my home asking for details about my property. How do I know they are the right people?
    Our field teams have KCCA identification.
  6. When will this exercise get to my area?
    This exercise started in Kampala Central Division. It will be rolled out to all Divisions of Kampala City.

Road Naming & Signage

  1. What is this road naming exercise? Why is it important?
    Properly named roads ease identification and navigation around the city, as well as delivery of services to citizens.
  2. Our roads already have names, why are some roads being renamed?
    All roads shall retain their names. However, some roads will be renamed based on requests from communities following a prescribed process.
  3. Some names are ‘too old – colonial’ and irrelevant, can we change these names?
    Some road names reflect the City’s heritage. However, the community may come up with a new name guided by KCCA.
  4. What is the procedure of coming up with a new name for a road?
    The community identifies the road, suggests a name, and submits it to their Division Officers for verification, before it is adopted.
  5. I have a new road near my house, can I name it?
    Together with your community, you can have this road named.

City Tax and Revenue Collection

  1. Who is supposed to pay taxes to KCCA? 
    All businesses, properties and services providers operating in the City.
  2. Why do I have to pay tax to KCCA?  
    Your tax is used to provide needed services in the city such as road and drainage construction and maintenance, garbage collection, street lighting and many more.
  3. Which taxes do I have to pay?
    Our team assesses your business or property to ascertain taxes.  These range from property tax, ground rent, business licenses, local service tax, hotel tax and more.
  4. How does KCCA assess and determine the tax I am supposed to pay?
    Our teams assesses your business, property or service you are providing based on set parameters to determine the appropriate tax to be paid.
  5. How do I get a Tax Identifier number?  
    Contact Uganda Revenue Authority for a tax identification number.
  6. Can I pay taxes on line?
    Yes, please use the E-Cities link on KCCA Website for online payment.
  7. Can I pay taxes using my phone?
    Yes, you can pay using your phone, please get details from E-Cities link on KCCA Website.
  8. Can I pay my taxes in installments?
    Yes, we have made it easy for you to pay taxes in installments. Please visit our offices for a payment plan.
  9. Why do I pay taxes to URA and to KCCA as well? 
    URA taxes are for national development, while KCCA taxes are used specifically for improving services and infrastructure in the city.
  10. Where do I report a tax complaint?  
    Please call  +256 204660049 or +256 414581294; or Email:
  11. How do I know I am dealing with the right official from KCCA?
    All our field teams and officials have KCCA Identification. If in doubt, please call +256 204660049 or +256 414581294.





Development partners