Directorate of Public health services and environment
|Dr. Daniel Okello
Director Public health services & environment
Mandate of the Directorate
The Public Health and Environment Directorate (PH&ED) has the mandate to facilitate and provide support to ensuring health and productivity citizens; and a clean, habitable and sustainable community for the city. The Directorate guides the Authority on the efficient management of public health and the environment.
PH&ED has defined its strategic direction to institute frameworks to proactively research and stem the occurrence and spread of communicable, acute and chronic diseases; foster health equity and nurture a healthy, conducive and sustainable community and environment.
Core Functions of PH&E Directorate
The Core Functions include the following:
- Develop, monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of the KCCA Public Health Legislation; and institute frameworks and standards to ensure the promotion of health and wellbeing of the community.
- Plan, conduct research, develop and monitor the implementation of strategies on epidemiology and disease control including emergency management, vaccination/immunization, testing treatment and health impact assessment surveys.
- Plan, set benchmarks and monitor the implementation of health and wellbeing promotion through periodic inspections and intensive health education.
- Plan and monitor the provision of efficient and appropriate health screening and treatment services at all the City Maternal, Child Health and Medical Health Centres.
- Plan, and monitor the implementation of the Environmental and City Ambience Management through the Water, Sewerage & Sanitation, Waste, Parklands, and Cemeteries Inspection and Management.