REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST (REoI)-Kampala Private Municipal Solid Waste Collection and Transport ServicesPUBLISHED — 6th, May 2021
- Kampala Capital City Authority (KCCA), is a corporate body that was established by the Kampala Capital City Act, 2010 (amended in 2019) to administer Kampala Capital City on behalf of central Government. Part IV section 17 of the Kampala City Council Solid Waste Ordinance (2000) places the responsibility for collection and transportation of waste from the city primarily under KCCA.
In addition, in accordance with the Local Government Act, 1997, National Environment Act (2019), KCCA is required to prohibit, restrict, regulate and/or license sanitary services for the removal and disposal of rubbish and all kinds of refuse.
The Kampala Capital City Authority ("KCCA") is taking ambitious steps to improve municipal waste management services to international best practice standards in the city of Kampala, Uganda. KCCA is seeking to engage competent private sector firms with practical experience and proven capacity to deliver efficient and affordable waste management services within the city under the “Kampala Private Municipal Waste Collection and Transportation Services”.
This offer will consist of separate contracts for designated “Waste Management Service Zones”. The offer shall involve the provision of municipal waste sorting, collection and transportation services to the city households, business/commercial areas, public and private institutions, markets, parks and any other such premises prescribed under the contract.
- KCCA now wishes to invite prospective competent firms with demonstrated capacity to deliver: quality, timely, effective and efficient municipal waste collection and transportation services in the designated Waste Management Service Zones. Different firms can also form a consortium with clearly defined individual capacity and experience in delivering the services within a Waste Management Service Zone of interest.
- Interested Parties are invited to register their interest by submitting a written Expression of Interest ("EOI") (separate for each zone in case of interest for multiple offers) including;
- A clear indication of the Waste Management Service Zone of interest on the cover page
- A brief profile of the company/consortium indicating; permanent address, email, telephone contact, website, and relevant experience in the field of municipal waste collection, transportation, recycling and related matters.
- Legal documents including; NEMA license, valid Trading License, Certificate of incorporation/ registration, valid Tax Clearance Certificate and registered Powers of Attorney.
- Minimum key staff education and experience;
- Manager Operations: Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in environmental Management/Sanitation, Civil Engineering or an equivalent from a reputable institution.
- Project Manager: Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Project Management or an equivalent from a reputable institution.
- Marketing Manager
- ICT Technical Assistant
- Loaders: one (1) per ton
- A minimum of five (5) year’s working experience in collection and transportation of municipal solid waste. The selection shall take into account reference letters, completion certificates/contract copies of clientele to support the claims of previous experience
- Equipment capacity: ownership of trucks should be at least 50%; ownership of a transfer station is an added advantage.
- Annual turnover of UGX 200M as minimum.
- Capacity to collect and transport at least 400 tons per day (from each zone) and safely dispose municipal waste within a radius of 40 kilometers from Kampala city center. This capacity may include but not limited to; specialized garbage trucks (with minimum capacity of 5 tons, ability to make 3 trips a day and provision for tipping), service vehicles and/ or motorcycles for monitoring and supervision, and human and financial resources for efficient service delivery.
- Evidence of good performance for a similar service from previous contracts offered to reputable Institutions, Cities and municipalities
- Capacity to collect a minimum of 120 tons per day of recyclable waste from the service zone and divert it from landfilling. This capacity may include but not limited to; a municipal waste transfer station, collection centers for recyclable waste, Waste recycling or processing plants, well documented and binding partnerships with local groups and CBOs collecting recyclable waste etc.
- Capacity to collect user fees from the Waste Management Service Zone of interest, including payment of a volume based tipping fee for waste disposal at the KCCA designated landfills at Kiteezi and/or Ddundu.
- Capacity (tools, equipment, technology, human resources etc.) for tracking and real-time monitoring of service provision in the entire Waste Management Service Zone.
- A Public Relations desk with a client management system capable of operating at least 14 hours a day.
- ICT equipment and online tools for client management and business processing.
- Eligibility criteria, establishment of the shortlist and the selection procedure shall be in accordance with the PPDA 2003 Act Regulations. Interested firms may obtain further information at the following address during office hours (09:00 to 1700hours) through:
- Sealed Expressions of Interest must be delivered to the address below at or before
Toll free line: 0800 99 00 00
Time: 11:00 Noon (Kampala Local Time)
Date: Wednesday 16th June, 2021
Address: The Procurement and Disposal Unit
Kampala Capital City Authority
Plot 1 – 3 Sir Apollo Kaggwa Road
City Hall, Room B112
- The planned Procurement schedule (Subject to changes) is as follows:
Publication of Notice of Expression of Interest
Thursday 6th May, 2021
Closing date for receipt of Expression of Interest
Wednesday 26th May, 2021 @ 11:00 Noon
Evaluation of Expressions of Interest
From 26th May, 2021 to 10th June 2021
Notification to Consultants
18th June 2021
More Procurement Notices
- Best Evaluated Bidder Notice: Consultancy services for supporting the implementation of Bus Transit Services in the City of Kampala
30th, September 2022
- Supply and installation of solar power systems at st. Agnes primary school in Entebbe municipality
8th, September 2022
- Invitation to bid for Supply and installation of Solar Power Pv Systems at Jinja Kalooli Primary School in Nansana Municipality
8th, September 2022
- Shortlist Notice: Consultancy Services for the establishment of a Road Safety Unit at KCCA
31st, August 2022
- ToR: Web Designer for the Creation of a Project Database and Online Mapping Tool
30th, August 2022
- Access to Energy Assessment at households and institutional levels in the Greater Kampala Metropolitan Area (GKMA)
24th, August 2022